Saturday, August 23, 2008

Badlands, South Dakota

Heading to the Badlands, I thought I'd see more scenery - so I took Hwy-44 out of Rapid City towards the east end of the Badlands - the Interior entrance, and then headed back west towards Wall on I-90.

It turns out this was a wasted ride. Temperatures peaked at 110 on Hwy-44; mostly it was between 99 and 103. The road was uneven. There were no sights (other than a distant periphery of the badlands).

At the Interior entrance, I loitered at the gift shop - it was air conditioned! I didn't buy anything, and headed west with the sun in my eyes. I made it at dusk to Wall. I decided to take the "fast" way home (it would shave 5+ hours from my travels, and I was ready to sleep in my own bed).

Next time, I'd either skip the Badlands (on motorcycle) - or I'd come from wall down through.

My last day, I went from Wall to home - 826+ miles..




This is at the end of Hwy-44 leg, just a few miles from the Interior Entrance; hints of the Badlands are in the distance:





Finally starting in:



What is this stuff made of? Something that looks like this close up:







As you look at this, imagine - if you will - the Plains Indians orchestrating a stampede accross the grasslands, towards the Badlands. You could have enough meat for the entire winter, the entire tribe ... I imagine.









Wherever there is an outcropping of grass, there be critters:
















1 comment:

carlgrube said...

Dude! I'm not going anywhere NEAR a biker bar with you as long as you have a cutesy stuffed animal on your bike! MAN UP!