Monday, August 18, 2008

Golden





Wednesday afternoon I checked into my destination in Golden, CO.

Wednesday Night, I popped in to visit with Jeff Krasnesky. We had a quick dinner down in Highlands Ranch, then headed out for Roxborough State Park.

After the I-Skills Zone Seminar Thursday & Friday in Golden, Jeff, Lynn and I went out for some sea food. It was raining Friday night, and raining really hard Saturday morning (at least down in Highlands Ranch). Jeff made a huge breakfast, and I looked for cycle shops to pick up a rain jacket. The Frogg Toggs jacket that Chicago Cycle sold me (steering me away from a tourmaster set) didn't hold up but for one day. The first time I tried to use it, the zipper didn't hold on initial zip - but I was careful in rezipping, and buttoned all the snaps. It blew up like a balloon during the ride, but at least seemed to keep me mostly dry (it was a bit short - so it would drain onto my crotch - ugh!). It wasn't even a motorcycle set from Frogg Toggs; why Chi Cycle even stocked this I don't know - cheap is what cheap gets. In Golden, it wouldn't hold NO WAY for even a walk for lunch. It was useless for a ride (and useless as well for a walk). I found a Tourmaster jacket the correct size at Fay Myers Motorcycle World‎ a few miles from Jeff, but no one had the right size pants.

Next time I'll trust my instincts - I could have gotten all the right stuff at Chi. Cycle in the beginning.

Saturday morning I put in a wind-break liner. It kept me dry (it seems), but the jacket got wet in the rain. It was 48 degrees, and on the highway that water soaked jacket felt really cold in the wind - dry or not, it was not comfortable. Soon as I put on the Tourmaster, all was better. From there the ride up to Sherod & Phyllis's up in Evergreen was comfortable (rain and weather notwithstanding).

Live and learn.

No comments: